UA-6790148-3

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wooden Block Printing

The ancient printing process of using carved wooden blocks and dye to print patterns on to textiles is a dying art-form. When I asked a couple of the locals here about where to find them besides the tourist stalls, they laughed and said that in India they use silkscreen now to print fabrics. Now I am sure that their are some master carvers still around,and hopefully in my travels i will encounter them. But so far I have found some very cool pieces regardless if they are for the tourist trade.

They vary in size from a small flower being 1/2 inch to bigger paisleys 3 - 4 inches.

They have some with the OHM sign and some with cross. They also sell thin ones that can be used as a border. Below are some of the ones I have found if you are interested let me know and I will pick out the best ones I can find depending on what you want.












I found some larger blocks today so I am editing this post and adding the pics of them. They are aprox.5-6 inches high or wide depending on the shape by 3 1/2-4 inches.

These are most costly obviously more work involved.

14 comments:

  1. OMG, I LOVE THEM!!!!!! I want some too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these before and they still amaze me. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're just gorgeous. Love'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I am taking orders and I am bout to list some at my Artfire Studio

    http://catfluff.artfire.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are just GORGEOUS. I wonder if they would work for batik?

    ReplyDelete
  6. well you can definitly stamp over the batik fabric with these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what I meant was to dip them in hot wax and then stamp the fabric with the wax. I would think they would hold up, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They could handle the heat no problem just would have to be a very light touch of the wax so as not to fill in all the grooves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across your blog looking for block print stamps... I have been searching all over for the large paisley and large random floral designs! Where can I purchase them? When will they be available?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina you can find them at my artfire shop.


    http://catfluff.artfire.com

    there you can contact me via the contact artistsan button and I can search for what you want. I did come across some big ones. and I will be traveling here for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. also Christina I am in th process of listing more of them , they sell out faster than I can list. look foward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete