UA-6790148-3

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sumar Nubra valley Part 2

After seeing his Holiness the Dalai Lama arrive I headed to Mystic Meadows the guesthouse/camp of Babu's. I had no idea where it was just a general direction. 20 minutes later I found it, and it was tucked behind a mountain with a lush garden and some really nice looking tents. I found Babu and he asked if I had eaten lunch, since I hadn't even had breakfast I said no. He apologized that all they had was staff food but he would have it brought out to me. The camp site was tranquil and just what I needed to get a break from Leh. But the coolest thing was the attached toilet with the river rocks for a floor. That evening I had dinner there and as I sat there in the dining room I realized it was my first dinner in India with only foreigners around me except for staff, how weird.











I had a few Kingfishers (India's biggest brand of beer) and called it a night but not after I spent some time editing photos and enjoying the silence of the Nubra Valley.

The following morning I got up and had breakfast, not as early as the others who had already left for the monastery where the D.L. was going to be teaching. I needed to catch up on my sleep, and this place was so quite that even the birds didn't wake me. I would have stayed on another night but Babu was overbooked as was the whole of Sumar. I asked for the bill and was pleasantly surprised to see my room came to only 300rs (6.50 USD) I guess it doesn't hurt to know people.

I walked up to the monastery and found it packed with people, I went through a metal detector and a bag check but I found the security to be a bit lacks. Considering how much military is customary in the area. I needed a special permit to even be in Nubra Valley. I walked around until I found the foreigner section where his teachings were being translated into English. What amazed me was looking around the place the Westerners seemed more devotional than the locals. The monks were talking amongst each other yet the foreigners were catching onto to every single word. Which wasn't easy since he was speaking Tibetan and you could also hear the Local dialect of Ladakhi.


































After the teaching ended I needed to get my bag from the guesthouse and make a move onto Diskit another town which I was hoping wasn't going to be so packed. Plus it was the place where I could see a bacterian camel (double humped) and sand dunes in the Himalayas.

I got to the taxi/bus stand to find out that nothing was going until 4:00 it was only 1:00, instead of waiting around I decided to hitch a ride. So I started walking out of town. The first truck that passed was military and I had been told to stay away from them so I didn't bother. Then a big stinky truck passed me by, yuck I will pass! A car drove by but he didn't stop at this point I was about a kilometer out of town and no traffic. I was starting to think that this wasnt a very good idea when a mini bus with two Locals in the front and two monks in the back stopped for me. I asked if they were going to Diskit they said they were.

Shortly after the monks got out and the music got pumped up and the speed increased and I was happily bumping up and down a very bad road to Diskit.

No comments:

Post a Comment